Windows XP System CPU Usage

Post here if you need help with anything technology, including the [UFP] forums. Also, if you are in need of access for a certain forum, post here.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Kamakazai

Windows XP System CPU Usage

Post by Kamakazai »

So recently I was able to restart and old windows XP. Its running incredibly slow. I checked the procces and found that a proccess called 'System' is taking about 99% CPU on average. My Aussie friend (who owns a computer tech company) says that this isn't normal. I tried closing the procces but doing so only creates and error that says. "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." Has anybody else ever had this problem or have a solution for this problem? I took a screenshot btw.

Edit: Maximum file size :| Heading to photo bucket...
Ciaran

Re: Windows XP System CPU Usage

Post by Ciaran »

I suggest you run a thorough virus scan or 2.
My System process runs @ 24k and 0% CPU Usage
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Did you look at the actual CPU usage on the "performance" tab?
Because Processes is not always accurate and some things can show up as 99 even though they are not.
GregColemar
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by GregColemar »

I was having a similiar problem with my laptop, the CPU and RAM would be running at 48% - 60% just displaying the desktop.
This was because i had a virus, it would open random tabs in IE and Firefox, and Chrome wouldn't even work. So, you probably have a virus.

Janeway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Janeway »

Alexraptor wrote:Did you look at the actual CPU usage on the "performance" tab?
Because Processes is not always accurate and some things can show up as 99 even though they are not.

That's the System Idle Process that typically shows up as "99" although CPU usage is really 1%. Still, at 33 processes, unless he has a really bad CPU there is something terribly wrong. I recommend running an anti-virus/anti-malware scan. If you don't have any current [subscription] security software, the best free anti-virus software (as in, can perform as well if not better than most subscription security software) is Microsoft Security Essentials.
Signed,
Lieutenant Commander Janeway
Task Force One, Third Fleet
United Federation of Planets
Himble
Admiral
Admiral
X-fire: Himble

Post by Himble »

Dean Janeway wrote:
Alexraptor wrote:Did you look at the actual CPU usage on the "performance" tab?

That's the System Idle Process that typically shows up as "99" although CPU usage is really 1%. Still, at 33 processes, unless he has a really bad CPU there is something terribly wrong. I recommend running an anti-virus/anti-malware scan. If you don't have any current [subscription] security software, the best free anti-virus software (as in, can perform as well if not better than most subscription security software) is Microsoft Security Essentials.

While the System Idle Process does generally show at 99 when the computer is idle, you can see from his screenshot that it is actually the System Process showing at 99.

I'd check the performance tab, as Alexraptor suggests, and if that shows high CPU usage then you may have some form of virus or malware on your PC using it. You may also want to check the temperature your CPU is running at, as this can cause problems also.
Kamakazai

Post by Kamakazai »

The preformance tab is also at 100%
GregColemar
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by GregColemar »

Then it is most likely a virus.

TParis
Fleet Admiral (Ret.)
Fleet Admiral (Ret.)

Post by TParis »

When you say restart, do you me you reinstalled Windows XP? The system process could be any number of services, try booting into safe mode and see if you get the same behavior. Safe mode is a boot with limited drivers and services, only enough to get you logged in. If you boot and System doesnt show 99% than it's likily a service or driver. Next, I'd update your drivers and than disable each system process one by one started with the processes with the least dependancies. If it isn't a driver and you find the process causing the trouble, than research the process. If you boot to safe mode and you still see 99%, than try just reinstalling Windows. If you havent used it in so long, than there likily isnt anything important on there. So just reinstall it.
Kamakazai

Post by Kamakazai »

By restart I did mean reinstall, and I'll try it in safe mode tomorrow to see if its still at 99%.