Fleet Admiral Church's Address

This forum is for announcements from [UFP] to the Star Trek community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Church
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Fleet Admiral Church's Address

Post by Church »

Friends, enemies, new visitors, and officers of the glorious [United Federation of Planets];

When our former fleet commander, Costello, resigned, he left me in command of the fleet to keep things running smoothly until her new commanding officer could be chosen by our wise Council of Admirals. The Council has seen fit to ask me to remain as the new Fleet Admiral, a duty that I humbly accept. It is truly a great honor to be chosen to lead such a glorious fleet. Before anything else, I would like to thank Costello for all of the work he has put into this fleet, both in designing our new web site and in the strong, confident leadership you provided during a time of uncertainty. It is due to your leadership that our fleet emerged from that turbulence with the strength and stability that we have today. On a personal note, I want to thank you for the faith you put in me by choosing me to serve along side you on the Executive Committee. I hope I lived up to your hopes and expectations.

I have seen this fleet grow and evolve as only a handful of officers here have. I first joined UFP back in 2005 shortly after the merger that founded her, back before we even had the Academy. I have seen this fleet evolve from being dominated by Starfleet Command III to Bridge Commander to Elite Force to the recent sweep of Star Trek Online. I was here for the transition to our ill fated presidential system and the coup that rid of us it. I have seen [UFP] have as many as seven fleets, if memory serves, and as few as our current two, and I've seen Starfleet and Ops structured, re-structured, and re-re-structured more ways than one can imagine. I have served as Diplomacy XO, Security XO, First Fleet CO, Starfleet CO, an Academy instructor, and Fleet XO before this appointment to Fleet CO. I feel like I've truly been a part of this fleet's history and her development, and I am honored and humbled beyond words to take the helm now and lead this fleet into even greater glory.

The past month has been a very turbulent one of our fleet. The secession and reformation of Federation Command, while not posing a real threat to our fleet, certainly shook things up a bit for a while. While the decision of several of our retired officers to depart and join this new fleet saddened me, I respect their decision. I want their to be no hard feelings between UFP and FC; we do not have to agree on everything to coexist, and it is my hope that there can one day be friendly ties between our two fleets.

In addition to the aforementioned drama, the past week has brought great change to the fleet. In addition to the departure of my good friends Costello and Carbonizer, we have seen the appointment of two new Councilors - wienergobbler and BobO369 - and the consolidation of Operations Command and Starfleet Command into the Office of Internal Affairs. I have always believed that, while it may be unsettling at first, well timed change is the key to continuing success, and it is my hope that these changes and those that will follow in the coming weeks and months will put UFP back on the path of greatness.

This fleet has strayed from her sacred path of glory, I feel, though not so far that she cannot be nudged back. One of our problems is that there is too much micromanagement. Operations CO and Starfleet CO have always been positions that are prone to micromanagement, which is why they were abolished and replaced with a single position under Council oversight. I will be the first to admit that I was guilty of unnecessary micromanagement in my capacity as Fleet XO and Starfleet CO this past month. I know, however, that we will learn from our mistakes and grow as a fleet and as human beings. We have to trust our subordinates and those in command positions below us to do the right thing; after all, there is a reason that they were trusted with that position in the first place.

The second and more serious problem that I hope to tackle in my tenure as Fleet Admiral is one of attitude. Although UFP is truly a holy and glorious fleet, to allow our egos to over-inflate does our fleet and ourselves dishonor. In modesty and humility lies greatness. Again, I am as guilty of this as anyone else in the fleet - more so than most, probably. Nationalism is a good thing, even in gaming clans; why be in a clan of which you feel no pride? However, all things are best in moderation. Unchecked pride is as destructive a force as any external threat could be. I ask now that each of you join me in more vigilant self-moderation. We need to keep our ban hammers in the tool box and sheath our sharpened tongues. I want this fleet to be known not only for her unstoppable prowess in-game, but also for the respect she shows for all visitors. I expect all visitors on our forums to be treated with respect and dignity even if none is shown in return.

Thirdly, I want to strengthen our diplomatic ties with other fleets in the community. Specifically, I want to make contact with some promising STO fleets. I know that many feel that the age of diplomacy is over, but I disagree. If I'm proven wrong, then I can accept that, but I am going to try to rebuild this fleet's diplomatic ties across the community, from the old fleets that have been around for a decade to the new fleets that have been around less than a year. One of our platform goals is to unite the Star Trek community. Diplomacy is my method of choice to reach that end.

I want to take this opportunity to reinforce an idea that has been stressed by our previous two Fleet Admirals, TParis and Costello - the chain of command. If someone in one of the fleets has a problem, I don't want to hear about it until it has been heard by his/her battle group commanders, fleet commanders, the Director of Internal Affairs, and the Fleet XO without resolution. This goes back to the issue of micromanagement; to go over someone's head straight to a higher level of command invites micromanagement. If an engineer went to the Ops CO under the old structure before going to Engineering CO, that would encourage Ops CO to micromanage that department a little more, even unintentionally.

Another thing that is important to be is approachability. I want everyone in this fleet, especially those in command positions to be approachable. I want a Cadet who posted his oath three days ago to feel comfortable messaging me in STO or on MSN just to say. I don't want to be seen as a tyrant ruling from a throne surrounded by a moat of lava. Yes, I am your commander, but also I want to be your friend. That's how I want it to be with everyone in the fleet. With that said, though, I want us to be able to joke and have fun, but I also want the chain of command respected. If a Commander gives an Lieutenant JG an order pertaining to the fleet, that order is to be followed.

Rear Admiral PooperScooper, in the year I spent as First Fleet Commanding Officer, you were invaluable to me, and I would not have been nearly as effective a leader then had it not been for your support. In the time since I was left to serve as Fleet XO and left you in charge of First Fleet, you have done a remarkable job and one that has made me incredibly proud. With that said, it is my great pleasure to bestow upon you the much deserved promotion to Vice Admiral. Congratulations.

I know this is where I'm supposed to make my dramatic appointment of a Fleet XO, but honestly, I haven't decided yet. I'll have to make a separate post for that in a day or two once I've had more time to think it over and make a decision. For the time being, Vice Admiral Himble will serve as AXO.

I sense that this is the dawn of a bright, new era for UFP. I know each and every officer of this holy fleet will give his best to UFP's future even more glorious than her past. I hope that I am able to live up to the faith that has been bestowed upon me.

Thank you for trusting me with leading the fleet into the sunrise. I am honored. Glory to UFP!
Hightower

Re: Fleet Admiral Church's Address

Post by Hightower »

Amen Fleet Admiral Church
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

Glory to this fleet!
Kyuubi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kyuubi »

Bob for Fleet XO

for his wisdom!..

Hahaha.. adding to shroomy.. LONG LIVE THE UFP!!
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

Congratulations on your appointment, Fleet Admiral Church. And good luck. :)
harper268
X-fire: harper268

Post by harper268 »

wait they let you be fleet admiral :shock: ok now the world ending

ok kidding aside Congratz on the postition bud i hope you do well 8-)
Naruto
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Naruto »

Well deserved, congrats!
Fourth Seat Councillor
First Fleet Executive Officer
Senior Fleet Records Officer
Taylynn
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by Taylynn »

Congrats Admiral. Well deserved. I am not sure of what else to say, but I am sure something will come up later.

Division Rear Admiral Taylynn
Deputy Chief of Engineers
Forum Admin
Site Development Team
Records Officer
Kerchek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kerchek »

Congrats gentlemen and may your commands be smooth and honorable.
BobO369
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by BobO369 »

Kyuubi wrote:Bob for Fleet XO
Thank you but no.

Fleet Admiral Church... has a nice ring to it don't you think?

Congrads