Break out the beer

This forum is for announcements from [UFP] to the Star Trek community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

TParis
Fleet Admiral (Ret.)
Fleet Admiral (Ret.)

Break out the beer

Post by TParis »

Greetings Friends,

It’s strange to think this will be the last speech I give as your Fleet Admiral, but more importantly as a fellow officer. Admiral Alexraptor and I have both decided to retire. As we are retiring at the same time and consider ourselves part of the same era of officers, the first one, we wanted to do this together.

We have contributed years to this fleet and are very sad to leave. We’ve learned a great deal from UFP and her officers and we feel like we are closing the door on a chapter in UFP history.

There has been so much history in this fleet and we want to take a moment to remember key officers who will forever remain in UFP’s memory. First off, our dear Fleet Admiral Picard who has given his every breath of life to this fleet; his dedication is unparalleled and his commitment unwavering. After several years of retirement, he continues to contribute to maintaining our website and advising our councilors. I also remember Fleet Admiral Jesse who continues to offer us his talent of propaganda during wars and remaining the epitome of leadership that every Fleet Admiral has to strive for; including myself.

Also to remember are the former Councilors and Fleet Admirals of UFP: Exeter, Riker, DarkSean, Siberian Tiger, Heero Yuy, Slugger, Alexander, Viper, Invincible, Ciaran, Htdefiant, Ruslan Lee, Hartley. Wow, I was surprised at how few UFP Councilors we’ve had in all these years. It’s a very small club. I like to think of these officers as our best of the best of the best. I remember each of these officers and they’ve all contributed something special to UFP. To these fine officers I say my salute to you, sirs on your service.

This will be the first time in UFP’s history that it will be led completely by officers who started as cadets in this fleet and worked their way up. Something about that sends a tingle up my spine. We’ve had UFP cadets reach the Council for years. We recently had a UFP officer, who started as a cadet, reach Fleet Admiral, but this is the first time that the entire leadership body of this fleet are former cadets. I’m very proud to be the Fleet Admiral that hands the reigns off.

Alexraptor and I would like to give you all some advice and some requests on behalf of the former Councilors, Fleet Admirals, Alexraptor and I. Firstly, remember your mentors and trainers. Remember the values and beliefs that formed the foundation of this fleet. Look back on our past decisions and try to imagine what led us to do the things we did. Remember that our heart is always in it. I have practical reasons for saying this. UFP no longer has officers who were there when much of UFP legislation was written. The foundation is now going to have to be interpreted and examined by those who didn’t know the intentions of it when it was written. I truly hope we have written it and trained you to interpret it properly and in a way that will help UFP continue to function.

Secondly, keep in mind that you are the last of the large Star Trek clans. There is very little left for the community of older Star Trek games to cling to. Keep the traditions alive and remember our fine history. We are a proud fleet and we are second to no one. Do nothing that diminishes that pride, nothing that hurts the honor of this fleet. Remember, we are glorious, our forums are glorious, our website is glorious, and everything touched by us is glorious.

Thirdly, as the community diminishes, remember that UFP’s goal is to ‘Unite the Star Trek community as much as possible’. That requires patience, understanding, faith, determination, and commitment. Times will get tough and friendships will be tried. Don’t let the pettiness get to you. When it’s a matter of friendship, put your pride aside. Build as many friendships, and strong ones, as you can. Be understanding of others and their different cultures. Quit the bickering and pettiness. Just let it go. Be the first to do it. Don’t bring it up again even if there is new conflict. I always like to let the transgressions of yesterday go with the night. Be forgiving and fair.

Lastly, I would like to give advice to the new Fleet Admiral. There are going to be times when you are confronted with easy decisions, moderate decisions, and difficult ones. They will range from broad impact on the fleet to very minute impact. Some will be very important that the right decision is made; others will have room for error. The best thing you can do as a Fleet Admiral is recognize these characteristics. Know when you must make the decision now, or when the decisions can or should be made by the Council, and know when you can rely on your commanders. Delegate whenever possible. It’s not about being lazy or indecisive. It’s about building confidence in the leaders that you appoint. It’s about watching the decisions they make and guiding them to make the right decisions in the future. And it’s about building the fleet’s confidence in them for when you are gone. As I like to say, ‘trust but verify.’

Know how to read the fleet. Sometimes immediately is the wrong time to push an opinion in a controversy. People need time to brew and calm down. Sometimes waiting too long will let emotions become rooted and unchangeable. Know when the right time to act is. Don’t act on impulse. Act with careful precision. Also be understanding of the fleet. The opinion of the mass is not always right, but it is always valid. Sometimes rumors spread or opinions are formed without all of the facts. Despite this, the opinion of the fleet is a valid concern as they are your subordinates. Without them you are not the Fleet Admiral. Be patient and supportive of them even when you disagree. Try to help them understand the truth or help the Council see their truth. Despite the truth or the opinion, do what is right always. Do not slack in your commitment to the best interests of the fleet.

I have several final orders as Fleet Admiral. Firstly, a long deserved award. Admiral Alexraptor has served over five years in UFP. He is awarded the Gold Service Medal. Fleet Captain Taylynn has been a dedicated and loyal officer working behind the scenes to keep our website and forums functioning right. I sometimes think he is just trying to steal all my tricks. Nonetheless, I am promoting him to Commodore. Also, BobO has been working both behind the scenes and up front as both our Security chief and one of the most helpful officers in STO. I would like my final promotion in UFP to be for him. Using my authority as Fleet Admiral, I am waving the promotions policy and promoting him an additional rank to Division Rear Admiral.

Finally, consider this my last order as Fleet Admiral: always enjoy each other. Remember the good times. Don’t shroombuck up the forums or database; I’m tired of fixing them.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

TP/Alex out!

Deuces!

P.S. We expect at least 10 minutes of mourning before the party Shroom and Silverado have been planning starts.
Alexraptor

Re: Break out the beer

Post by Alexraptor »

The past five years have been a blast and I have had the pleasure of serving under four great Fleet Admirals.
And though it was once my hope to be Fleet Admiral myself some day, I have to say I feel content retiring at this point.
I was here when this Fleet was founded, I have seen many wars and I have seen the golden age come and go, I have earned many commendations and been among the elite of UFP's gamers.
I am pleased with the legacy I leave behind, and now its time to hand the reins over to the Next Generation.

Its been an honor serving with you all, and though this is an ending it does not mean goodbye, for I will still be around. ;)
Taylynn
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by Taylynn »

Thank you Admiral and it was an honour to serve under you.

Grats to BobO especially. Great Job my friend.

All Forum Ranks, Groups, and Records have all been updated

Division Rear Admiral Taylynn
Deputy Chief of Engineers
Forum Admin
Site Development Team
Records Officer
Taylynn
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by Taylynn »

Thank you Admiral and it was an honour to serve under you.

Grats to BobO especially. Great Job my friend.

Division Rear Admiral Taylynn
Deputy Chief of Engineers
Forum Admin
Site Development Team
Records Officer
Silverado
X-fire: silverado679

Post by Silverado »

Fair winds and following seas Admirals.....

Its been great serving under you guys and for UFP during your time in office. You will be missed but not forgotten. You have left the footprints of your character and leadership in the concrete foundation which is and will always be The United Federation of Planets...

Congrats to everyone who was promoted, lead well....

The Silverado and Shroom "Stay Thirsty Party Buss" departs in 30 min. All Aboard lol
Janeway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Janeway »

Today marks an end of an era for [UFP]. Over the years I have served here, I have witnessed some of the fine work you gentlemen have put into this fleet and although you both will be departing us now, I have no doubt that your legacies will have an everlasting effect on this fleet. It has been an honor.

Now, about this party that Shroomy and Silverado are throwing... :P
Signed,
Lieutenant Commander Janeway
Task Force One, Third Fleet
United Federation of Planets
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

Partytime!

No, in all seriousness. It was a pleasure serving under you and although I did cause you the most stress, we often did talk to one another on various subjects and gave you advice when required. I can only close by saying that I do hope the road may rise up to meet you, that the wind may be ever at your back, that the sun may shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields.

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch, my friend!
Carbonizer
X-fire: carbonizerjay

Post by Carbonizer »

Thank you TParis. You have served as Fleet Admiral to the best of your abilities im sure. Your name will go down in history.

Good luck in your life and fair skys and may the wind forever be upon your sails. It was an honour.
Costello

Post by Costello »

I could not improve upon the means in which I relayed my appreciation via my state of address, so to be brief, it is has been an honour gentlemen.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)

BobO369
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by BobO369 »

It has been an honor serving under both Admiral TParis and Admiral Alexraptor. While I’m sad to see them go I understand their reasons and wish them both good luck in their new adventures. Admiral TParis I will do my best to uphold the values of this fleet and the confidence you have placed in me with the promotion to Division Rear Admiral. I will remember your word on this day and do my best to server this fleet as the fine officers before me have.

Admiral Alexraptor I will fly on your wing any day so doesn’t become a stranger. I still want a one on one PvP match with you in STO someday so hope to see you in-game soon ;)

If either of you every need anything please feel free to call on me at any time.

Congratulations Taylynn as Admiral TParis has pointed out you have done an awesome job in engineering.

The first round of shots is on me. We are all going to get drunk tonight. :D