Result of my two month graphics card RMA

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason. Be warned that officers past and present are fair game in the Entertainment Forum. The views of the officers in this forum do not represent the views of UFP as a whole.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

D'Jay
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Result of my two month graphics card RMA

Post by D'Jay »

After two months (yesterday 2011-06-03), i finally get my Radeon HD4850 1gb back.
Today I was met with this when i started up my computer:

Way to go, dimwit! Geez! Did you even touch the damn thing? It worked for ONE bloody day!

*Quietly sneaks away and steals the HD6970 from our SH-mainframe* :lol:
L.O.A.
Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Re: Result of my two month graphics card RMA

Post by Mr. D »

Should've went with the nvidia doode.
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

I used to have that 24" Samsung on my desk at one put, I just happened to be smart and switched to a lovely laptop. Now my desk looks glorious!
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Thats why i only accept replacement of hardware in RMA's and never repairs. :lol:
D'Jay
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by D'Jay »

Alexraptor wrote:Thats why i only accept replacement of hardware in RMA's and never repairs. :lol:
Indeed. I'm sending it back again. And this time, they can keep the bloody thing. Besides, not like i want anything to do with Sapphire products again. Ever single Sapphire card I had died on me. But my 5+ year old Powercolor gpu still runs like a dream.

Anyway, I had to cut into the case with a dremel to make the HD6970 fit. Got my harddrive fitted with adapter now. 2.5" to 3.5" and 3.5" to 5.25". (yeah, stupid, I know. No choice though.)

Father still hasn't noticed the difference btw. despite the fact that the Hd3450 is a huge bottleneck for the 4.5ghz six core phenom :lol:
Mr. D wrote:Should've went with the nvidia doode.
never been a fan of Nvidia, but perhaps i should put aside our diffrences...
wienergobbler wrote:I used to have that 24" Samsung on my desk at one put, I just happened to be smart and switched to a lovely laptop. Now my desk looks glorious!
Yeah, i was using my laptop too until recently but i needed more processing power, even with the i5-520, ssd and 8gb ram, its still not quick enough for me. then again, i do most of my work on a dual i7E computer with 32gb ram... i might be somewhat spoiled.
L.O.A.
Janeway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Janeway »

D'Jay wrote:
wienergobbler wrote:I used to have that 24" Samsung on my desk at one put, I just happened to be smart and switched to a lovely laptop. Now my desk looks glorious!
Yeah, i was using my laptop too until recently but i needed more processing power, even with the i5-520, ssd and 8gb ram, its still not quick enough for me. then again, i do most of my work on a dual i7E computer with 32gb ram... i might be somewhat spoiled.
This concerns me. I've never understood the need for Intel Infinite Core Processors with a trillion gigabytes of memory. When I bought my most recent computer, which happens to be this Mac, one of the common themes I found among regular PCs that I looked at is that they were all starting with about 16GB of memory and Intel Super-Duper Ridiculous Core Processors and that most came with 24-32GB around the tier I was looking at. Of course, to me, that's all unnecessary (and why I went with a Mac - besides there lovely quality, even with Windows installed) but it would be interesting to hear why someone [other than an institution of some sort] actually needs a computer with Intel's very own Ludicrous Speed Processor.

On another note, you should have went with nVidia =).
Signed,
Lieutenant Commander Janeway
Task Force One, Third Fleet
United Federation of Planets
D'Jay
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by D'Jay »

Janeway wrote: This concerns me. I've never understood the need for Intel Infinite Core Processors with a trillion gigabytes of memory. When I bought my most recent computer, which happens to be this Mac, one of the common themes I found among regular PCs that I looked at is that they were all starting with about 16GB of memory and Intel Super-Duper Ridiculous Core Processors and that most came with 24-32GB around the tier I was looking at. Of course, to me, that's all unnecessary (and why I went with a Mac - besides there lovely quality, even with Windows installed) but it would be interesting to hear why someone [other than an institution of some sort] actually needs a computer with Intel's very own Ludicrous Speed Processor.

On another note, you should have went with nVidia =).
They are not workstations, mate. Yeah, we run games on them once in a while. But usually they're busy with rendering whatever the media department cooked up. The only reason I'm allowed to use this particular machine, is because i built it. And quite frankly, I'd rather use that one than the Pentium 4 powered Dells we have.

Btw, here are the full specs:
2x Intel i7 Extreme Edition 965, 24gb ram (sorry mate, typo), 4x Intel 80gb SSD, approx 100TB overall storage, Quad SLI GTX 580 (i think. not sure, though. might be a GTX560) I didn't handle the upgrade.
L.O.A.
Himble
Admiral
Admiral
X-fire: Himble

Post by Himble »

I've always used Nvidia.

My one attempt, a good number of years ago now, at using a Radeon graphics card to replace an Nvidia (and that was a Sapphire also) and it just wouldn't work.

Sent the thing back and bought an Nvidia card. This event pretty much cemented me as an Nvidia customer.
Kelbie

Post by Kelbie »

I've always had Nvidia and never had a problem with them.
Samsung 42inch Owner
Sony BDPS370 Player Owner
Samsung HT-C450 5.1 Owner
Sony PS3 1TB Owner
Samsung Galaxy S 32gb Owner
Costello

Post by Costello »

Your Fleet Admiral has a whopping 1Gb of RAM.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)