Wings of Prey

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason. Be warned that officers past and present are fair game in the Entertainment Forum. The views of the officers in this forum do not represent the views of UFP as a whole.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Wings of Prey

Post by Mr. D »

Currently waiting for Cliffs of Dover to be available in the US. In the meantime I've came across Wings of Prey.

It's actually IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. But has been marketed as Wings of Prey on the PC. Quite fun to play. Here's some screenshots. I will add more as I go along. Here's just a few fighting and attempt at landing that went horrible.

Alexraptor

Re: Wings of Prey

Post by Alexraptor »

Wings of Prey is horrible as a simulator.

Only thing really good is the graphics, but the "Realistic" and "Simulator" game modes are horribly unrealistic.

The Flight models are a horrible mess and most planes will stall at the slightest sudden maneuver, they will also loose speed unnaturally fast in a steep climb.
I mean c'mon... the P-47 with paddle blade propellers was known to be able to go vertical on engine power alone..... the planes in the game period fall out of the sky if you as much as sneeze in their general direction.
Another gripe is that the enemy is just too damn accurate.
Theres this one mission which i have never completed on realistic or simulator, because the enemy planes pretty much hit my engine instantly every single time.... at maximum gun range, something which in real life would be impossible.
Not to mention the AI do not seem to be restricted to the physics that apply to player aircraft. If I try to match a climb of an enemy, even flying the exact same aircraft, i will stall every time.

Which is why i preferr IL-2 or MS Combat Flight Simulator series.
Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Post by Mr. D »

Is there ANYthing that you don't complain about?
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

I only complain when my complaints are valid. :lol:
Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Post by Mr. D »

Alexraptor wrote:I only complain when my complaints are valid. :lol:
I think it just happens to be that you can't fly. I have very few of the problems you talk about. Flying isn't about gunghoing it. It has to be done with finesse. Even with combat planes.
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Mr. D wrote:
I think it just happens to be that you can't fly. I have very few of the problems you talk about. Flying isn't about gunghoing it. It has to be done with finesse. Even with combat planes.
Dude... I think I know a thing or two more about flying than you do.
I am the third generation in my family entering into the industry that is aviation, my grandfather worked on P-51 mustangs back in the day.
I have logged countless hours in flight simulators with aircraft flight characteristics as authentic as is possible within a simulation.

IL-2 Sturmovik was greately praised for its high level of realism, and i share that appraisal.
However its generally accepted by the fanbase that Wings of Prey's flight models are seriously flawed which is why many have opted to wait for Cliffs of Dover.
The topmost post(that is not pinned) on the "Aircraft Discussion" subforum on the games official forums is titled "P 51 model seriously flawed"

So don't presume to lecture me on flying.
Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Post by Mr. D »

Alexraptor wrote:
Mr. D wrote:
Dude... I think I know a thing or two more about flying than you do.
I am the third generation in my family entering into the industry that is aviation, my grandfather worked on P-51 mustangs back in the day.
I have logged countless hours in flight simulators with aircraft flight characteristics as authentic as is possible within a simulation.

IL-2 Sturmovik was greately praised for its high level of realism, and i share that appraisal.
However its generally accepted by the fanbase that Wings of Prey's flight models are seriously flawed which is why many have opted to wait for Cliffs of Dover.
The topmost post(that is not pinned) on the "Aircraft Discussion" subforum on the games official forums is titled "P 51 model seriously flawed"

So don't presume to lecture me on flying.
And I've logged hours of ACTUAL flying. My dad is a flight instructor and the avionics director for Moody Aviation. It is a missionary aviation training school. With that being said, I'm not making this a pissing contest.
As you said. Don't presume.

But nothing can beat actual flying.
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

Alexraptor wrote:I have logged countless hours in flight simulators with aircraft flight characteristics as authentic as is possible within a simulation.
Well - owning a PPL/RPL and a plane myself - a flight simulator is not the real deal now is it? To me you are just as qualified to talk about flying as Dwayne is. Don't come to me with MSFS or what have you either, because that doesn't count in my book.

It is therefore that I, and I, alone am qualified make such a statement:
Alexraptor wrote:So don't presume to lecture me on flying.
Now, go log some real hours (like 5000) instead of the CGI-bullshit, then come back please.
Costello

Post by Costello »

No dogfighting of the geek variety, please.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)

Mr. D
Captain
Captain

Post by Mr. D »

Costello wrote:No dogfighting of the geek variety, please.

I see what you did there.