IL2 Sturmovik series

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Forum rules
This is an unofficial area of UFP to give officers an outlet to organize non trek games. Bickering, arguing, or any other unbecoming conduct by UFP officers will result in the loss of this forum.
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

IL2 Sturmovik series

Post by Shroombuck »

IL2 Sturmovik series are a World War II combat flight-simulator video game that was first released back in 2001. Along with its sequels, IL-2 Sturmovik is considered one of the leading World War II flight simulators. The original was called - obviously - IL2 Sturmovik, but of course as it was such a successful game expansion packs were soon released as well. Forgotten Battles, Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters and Pe-2 are considered the expansion packs. In 2007 they released IL2 Sturmovik 1946. In addition to all of the above expansions, it includes two new games: Sturmoviks over Manchuria and 46. This raised the total number of aircraft to over 300 with 32 new flyable aircraft, such as Soviet and Japanese aircraft that served during the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945, as well as some which never went beyond the design stage in reality. It also features nearly 200 new missions and new maps featuring the Kiev region, new parts of the USSR, China, Korea and Burma.

My first experience with IL2 Sturmovik took place in 2001. I didn't play it for years and this week I noticed that they released IL2 Sturmovik 1946. Without any hesitation I decided to buy it, for it was only £10. It was an absolute joy to play this game (and it's additions of course) once more. I explained this game to some of our members including Carbo, Costello, Kelbie, Bob and Dwayne and they will all take it up. It would be truly amazing to get some nice missions going together or do some dogfights in the air or team fights. I would urge those who have had or still have an affinity with combat flight-simulators to take this game up and start playing. The graphics are not demanding, but for a 2001 engine it surprisingly is still amazing.

Screenshots of IL2 Sturmovik 1946:

The ground graphics are not too interesting, but you are in the air most of the time anyway. To experience IL2 Sturmovik to the fullest, it is recommended you use a joystick and have the proper keys assigned when you do use a joystick. Here is a guide 'How To Setup Your Joystick' and the 'Proper Key Binds'.

A new IL2 Sturmovik will be released this year. It's called Cliffs of Dover. It isn't in stores yet, but it will be awesome!
Digi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
X-fire: dadigi

Re: IL2 Sturmovik series

Post by Digi »

I'd try it. You guys should also try Battlefield 1942. I play on a Battle for Midway server which affords some great air, land, and sea battles.
Kieran
X-fire: kieranloftus

Post by Kieran »

Cliffs of Dover is already out Commodore ;)
FC Kieran
BobO369
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by BobO369 »

I'm going to wait for Cliffs of Dover to be released here in the USA on April 28th.
Costello

Post by Costello »

Won't install.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)

Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

Yes, there seems to be a problem to install it on Windows 7.

I had this problem too, but I solved it. You need to add a rule to AppLocker and configure a rule enforcement: Windows Installer Rules.

See the following links:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64- ... 158744.htm

http://www.spotht.com/2010/04/how-to-ru ... ows-7.html

In AppLocker click on Configure Rule Enforcement and then enable Windows Installer Rules and set it as enforce. Then install the game. It should work.
[UAF] Kieran wrote:Cliffs of Dover is already out Commodore ;)
No it isn't, Kieran. Why don't you go over to your own forums? It seems your new fleet is quite inactive. Not to mention that there already is a fleet called UAF.
Kelbie

Post by Kelbie »

Or piss off :P
Samsung 42inch Owner
Sony BDPS370 Player Owner
Samsung HT-C450 5.1 Owner
Sony PS3 1TB Owner
Samsung Galaxy S 32gb Owner
Kieran
X-fire: kieranloftus

Post by Kieran »

I am now going to leave,
FC Kieran
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

TO ALL: make sure you download the latest version of IL2 Sturmovik 1946: v4.08. This is the last version released by Ubisoft (the publisher of the game). There are other versions released by 1C: Maddox Games (the developer of the game) such as v4.09 and v4.10 but I couldn't get those to work.

If you find a way to get v4.10 to work, please let us know.
Costello

Post by Costello »

I'll try the fix later. Thank you.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)