STO may go Free-To-play

This forum is for any information regarding new Star Trek games or multimedia.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Silverado
X-fire: silverado679

Re: STO may go Free-To-play

Post by Silverado »

Misleading subject / wasted my time. STO isnt going F2P with the numbers they currently have any time soon. F2P is a last ditch effort to save arse and stay afloat.
EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain
X-fire: EVOXSNES

Post by EVOXSNES »

Silverado wrote:Misleading subject / wasted my time. STO isnt going F2P with the numbers they currently have any time soon. F2P is a last ditch effort to save arse and stay afloat.

Misleading? Im afraid your mistaken. The word 'May' (which was used in the title) is used to indicate a possibility. I did not "waste" your time, you wasted your own time by allowing yourself to jump to the defensive all because you thought i was suggesting that STO is going F2P.

Read the article and you'll realize that the F2P contemplation isn't based on STO failing but is actually a natural exploration of options that might be available to the mgmt.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ee-to-play
EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain
X-fire: EVOXSNES

Post by EVOXSNES »

Janeway wrote:I believe somewhere Cryptic Studios already said that Star Trek Online isn't going free to play anytime soon. I think it was in a post on STO's website about what Champions Online going free to play means for STO.

That obviously means this isn't going to happen. At least, not anytime soon. Besides, I'd rather pay for a subscription then have to pay to be allowed to beam on to Earth Space Dock.

In the article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ee-to-play

The say that a potential Silver vs Gold membership model, with Silver being free and Gold paid... i dont think they would capitilizse on Micro-transactions like EA-DiCE have done with BF heroes as it would turn the game into something very wrong.

Silver PvE only? Gold Everything? Who knows...
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Like i said, Emmert says a lot of crap in the media.
The "official" stance is currently "no F2P" on the horizon.
nick20050
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nick20050 »

Only the demo is free and you don't get all the missions or new stuff. U do believe they might reduce the price though