STO may go Free-To-play

This forum is for any information regarding new Star Trek games or multimedia.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain
X-fire: EVOXSNES

STO may go Free-To-play

Post by EVOXSNES »

Last month developer Cryptic Studios announced that their one-year-old MMO, Champions Online, was going free to play. The company has recently announced that if the game's new business model proves successful, they may make their other MMO, Star Trek Online, free as well.

"We're not sold one way or the other with Star Trek yet," Jack Emmert, Cryptic's CEO told Eurogamer."If people want Star Trek to go free-to-play then get in and play Champions and help make it a great success, because that would send a strong message."

Emmert goes on to explain that it depends on more than just his say whether this will happen. He also says that Cryptic is impressed with Dungeons & Dragons Online's free to play success, and that they would like to share the same success.

If Star Trek Online's possible free to play transition happens, we may be able to expect a structure similar to Champions Online, which accepts all comers but charges a price for premium content.

Source: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/ ... -play.aspx
Alexraptor

Re: STO may go Free-To-play

Post by Alexraptor »

Old news, and no, STO is not going F2P any time soon.

Still, going F2P is one of the best things happening to MMO's these days, because not only do they become more accessible, but the companies manage to pull in a lot more cash.

Turbine has managed to double their revenue from LOTRO after they went F2P in september.
Shroombuck
Senator
Senator

Post by Shroombuck »

This would be great news and I forsee that many officers will start to play it and that we will gain a pretty huge memberbase from it as well.
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

As dreadful as I found the demo, I would probably buy the game if this happened.
Costello

Post by Costello »

Whiskers wrote:As dreadful as I found the demo, I would probably buy the game if this happened.

Likewise pending my PC upgrade.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)

EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain

Post by EVOXSNES »

Alexraptor wrote:Old news, and no, STO is not going F2P any time soon.

Still, going F2P is one of the best things happening to MMO's these days, because not only do they become more accessible, but the companies manage to pull in a lot more cash.

Turbine has managed to double their revenue from LOTRO after they went F2P in september.

Source Posted it on 6th November and if you knew about it? why didn't you make the post here?

And 'No' isnt the case, As the article says, its dependent on Champions shift to F2P model and that success whether or not it comes to STO.
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

I take the words of the devs and men in charge over some random news article.
Even if Jack Emmert supposedly said this he is infamous for talking out of his ass. :P
EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain

Post by EVOXSNES »

Alexraptor wrote:I take the words of the devs and men in charge over some random news article.
Even if Jack Emmert supposedly said this he is infamous for talking out of his ass. :P

He mentioned it might happen due to Champions moving to an F2P model and the success of that move. Basically, this all came about because they noticed alot of success with other smaller MMO's (Dungeons & Dragons Online) going F2P and experiencing huge success.

Now this would be advantageous for STO, not just because of the dollars but it would get people to come back to STO after the mass exodus die to the initial lack of content ( people like me for example)

To speculate beyond the scope of the article by eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ee-to-play) im wondering if STO does move to F2P, would future content releases drop in frequency...

I think STO needs to get all those people who left to come back and the only way to do that is to help peoples back pocket.
Janeway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Janeway »

I believe somewhere Cryptic Studios already said that Star Trek Online isn't going free to play anytime soon. I think it was in a post on STO's website about what Champions Online going free to play means for STO.

That obviously means this isn't going to happen. At least, not anytime soon. Besides, I'd rather pay for a subscription then have to pay to be allowed to beam on to Earth Space Dock.
Signed,
Lieutenant Commander Janeway
Task Force One, Third Fleet
United Federation of Planets
Church
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Church »

This has been floating around the STO forums for a while, and everything Cryptic has said on the site and forums seems to point to "Hell no" on the conservative end and "Maybe, but probably not for a while if at all" on the liberal end.

In short, don't get your hopes up.