Atari Buying Cryptic

This forum is for any information regarding new Star Trek games or multimedia.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

Alexraptor

Re: Atari Buying Cryptic

Post by Alexraptor »

Its true, many companies to change price deals and stuff like that.
But what Atari did with Star Trek Online and especially so soon after launch, is practically unheard of for MMO's.
Hence why this has caused such a major outrage on the STO forums that Atari has been forced to rescind their 60 day extra offer and now just offering a discount off the retail purchase.
Kelbie

Post by Kelbie »

Whiskers wrote:
Pixy wrote:Lets not forget Star Trek Excalibur AKA BC2. It will be around in a few years, maybe less.

Meh. The project has halted so many times already I'm not sure it'll ever be finished.

Believe me its not, i know someone that did the textures for a Defiant class. It's not been put on hold, infact it was on hold after new year because a few people had family problems.

I know stuff ;)

Mark Team Executive
STE will be ready around 2012-2011, maybe less.
Samsung 42inch Owner
Sony BDPS370 Player Owner
Samsung HT-C450 5.1 Owner
Sony PS3 1TB Owner
Samsung Galaxy S 32gb Owner
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

Pixy wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
Pixy wrote:Lets not forget Star Trek Excalibur AKA BC2. It will be around in a few years, maybe less.

Meh. The project has halted so many times already I'm not sure it'll ever be finished.

Believe me its not, i know someone that did the textures for a Defiant class. It's not been put on hold, infact it was on hold after new year because a few people had family problems.

I know stuff ;)

Mark Team Executive

Did he also mention the site for the Game Engine STE will run from (NanoFX GE) was hacked several months ago, and activity in getting new things done has been very low ever since?

I'm sorry call me pessimistic but I just doubt STE will launch soon, and if it does it will probably not be a very enjoyable game. Fan made games rarely are. Especially when it comes to storylines, sound effects, music and voiceovers. Hopefully this will be different, and it will be a truly remarkable fan made game. But it's highly unlikely it will fulfill much of its potential. They've not completed building the game yet, nowhere near it I might add. After this is done they have to test it (alpha) and release a beta, to find glitches, bugs and other things to fix. They don't have a massive development studio, this will not be ready by 2011. 2012... perhaps, but I think 2013/2014 is more likely.
Janeway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Janeway »

Whiskers wrote:
Pixy wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

I know stuff ;)

Mark Team Executive

Did he also mention the site for the Game Engine STE will run from (NanoFX GE) was hacked several months ago, and activity in getting new things done has been very low ever since?

I'm sorry call me pessimistic but I just doubt STE will launch soon, and if it does it will probably not be a very enjoyable game. Fan made games rarely are. Especially when it comes to storylines, sound effects, music and voiceovers. Hopefully this will be different, and it will be a truly remarkable fan made game. But it's highly unlikely it will fulfill much of its potential. They've not completed building the game yet, nowhere near it I might add. After this is done they have to test it (alpha) and release a beta, to find glitches, bugs and other things to fix. They don't have a massive development studio, this will not be ready by 2011. 2012... perhaps, but I think 2013/2014 is more likely.

We shouldn't also forget that that folks developing ST:E are a private group and not a company which means that ST:E will be either forgotten or left to a niche market. While the game will no doubt be good due to its inspiration being drawn from Bridge Commander among other Star Trek games, the fact that the game has no backing behind it (in terms of money) means that this game is more than likely destined to fail.

ST:E, if it isn't sitting in pieces of assets not strung together, is probably in very early alpha or pre-alpha builds which means it will be a very long time before it becomes usable for the general population. I'm sure many people have forgotten about ST:E by now and by 2011 or 2012, they definitely will.
Signed,
Lieutenant Commander Janeway
Task Force One, Third Fleet
United Federation of Planets
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

Janeway wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
Pixy wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

I know stuff ;)

Mark Team Executive

We shouldn't also forget that that folks developing ST:E are a private group and not a company which means that ST:E will be either forgotten or left to a niche market. While the game will no doubt be good due to its inspiration being drawn from Bridge Commander among other Star Trek games, the fact that the game has no backing behind it (in terms of money) means that this game is more than likely destined to fail.

ST:E, if it isn't sitting in pieces of assets not strung together, is probably in very early alpha or pre-alpha builds which means it will be a very long time before it becomes usable for the general population. I'm sure many people have forgotten about ST:E by now and by 2011 or 2012, they definitely will.

Indeed. Another issue is that they're just implementing so many ideas from so many people, gameplay balance among other things could be mucked up. At this moment, as far as I know, the Game Engine the game will be built upon is incomplete. The Ships for the game are nowhere near complete (last I heard, they planned on having a lot of them. So far there's only like 8 if I recall correctly). They have the story complete, Sound Effects haven't been made yet, and Music hasn't been made yet. That's only a few things but it should show that they're nowhere near complete. (I could be totally wrong, but that's all that's been made publically known. Unless they updated it very recently.)
trip

Post by trip »

And the game of ufp how's that going?
nick20050
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nick20050 »

Wow I am shocked. I just hope they don't mess it up because Atari is not in my favorite list for a game company since they haven't been active for along time